Re: Re: question from a non-tubist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 09, 2001 at 21:39:04:

In Reply to: Re: question from a non-tubist posted by Sean Chisham on August 09, 2001 at 20:46:18:

When a much, younger, much stronger, and much more pro player can say this, then I also dare to put words to my experiences of marching in general, as I am very sure, that this is not a tuba versus sousa matter.

Over the years i have strived hard to develop a playing technique that is very loose. No static tensions anywhere in the body. Which does not say, that no muscle power is applied. Only it is always on the move. No locked positions.

That has taken some considerations to balance trombones, so that the center of gravity (in 1st position) is exactly above the root of the palm. If power has to be applied to avoid the bone to gyrate along its length axis, a sore left wrist is guaranteed. The downside is that the bell rim being very close to the slide cancels out the sight of ones left eye.

Due to a protruding edge of the left upper central incissor, I play without any mouthpiece pressure at all.

Also in other ways I ahve strived to remove any technical inhibitions to my ideals of making music on brass instruments.

That is why I am suspicious about marching, which I have done some amount of. Because marching forces one to take a defensive attitude towards almost all aspects of playing:

Don’t drop your instrument (mostly trombones in my case, very hard to strap) = take a real firm grip (which it takes days to relaxe again)

Don’t cut your lip = pucker your embouchure to create a firm buffer between mouthpiece and teeth = forget anything about sound and intonation

Don’t drop your pants = tighten you belt = forget anything about body ressonance and intonation-supported-by-diaphragm-control

Confirm to corps posture = forget anything about the optimal balance you have found for yourself and your instrument.

Am I a hypocrite? Definitely! I love to watch drill shows, European style. The Brit military bands are good. The German military band can be hard to swallow. Not so much when they play the very good Prussian marches. But when they do sambas. With the musicians dancing their oval euphs and baritones in their horribly boring uniforms, which must have been designed at the Braillé Academy.

And the by far best military show band I ever saw, was the Drill Corps of the Norwegian King. Sorry all you pros. This 80 or so piece band is made up with all drafted members, males only when I saw them. Joining in January for basic training in drill. Memorising all of their not so small repertory. Taking up the duty and show season in early summer. Disbanding in the fall. An all new band the next year.

Klaus

Follow Ups: