Re: Re: Re: Marc. "concert hall" m.p. - advice (?)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on August 11, 2001 at 02:06:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Marc. "concert hall" m.p. - advice (?) posted by Jay Bertolet on August 10, 2001 at 22:10:43:

Hi Jay,

I did try the Bach 18 megatone and the R&S HII when I had my Alex CC some years back. The Bach seemed to work OK for me, but the R&S did not work well at all. The R&S was too edgy for me on the Alex. I did try the R&S in a 2155 and 2165 and it worked much better. I do keep going back to my Monette 94 though. I do know what you mean by the Bach's mass centered at the throat. It may have been the size of the shank on my Alex which swallowed both mouthpieces up to the base of the cup. I'm guessing, but maybe the Bach works better pushed further into the receiver and the R&S better with some of the shank left out. Oh well, I would need to do more experimenting to see if this is the case. Still, there are so many other factors to consider between different horns, players, leadpipes, etc. It would help if the designers could provide some information on what they based the performance of the mp on. I know with the Monette, Chester pointed out to me that it performs best further pushed into the leadpipe with maybe an 1/8 to 1/4 of the mp shank showing. I know that there are some other factors to consider, but his statement has proved true for the most part in my experience.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ken

Follow Ups: