Re: Re: question from a non-tubist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by chrisswid on August 11, 2001 at 18:10:06:

In Reply to: Re: question from a non-tubist posted by Sean Chisham on August 09, 2001 at 20:46:18:

I guess I'm kind of late but having just gotten off of the field after a practice I thought i'd post my two cents.

I play both the contra bass on the field and sousaphone on the street. I also play tuba in brass quintet, orchestra, wind ensemble, (as well as trumpet and fife.)

Although a large portion of my activity and upbringing has been towards field it never really interferes but rather it enhances my playing elsewhere. Despite a lot of prejudice against marching organizations like DCI, (although they play contras not sousas) I think the activity of marching and playing and learning how to do it well is of great benefit to anyone especially young people.

Its not (sorry klaus) about tight belts and forcing the music, its more about controlling the body developing your leg and ab muscles to provide a smooth upper body platform for where the sound's produced. Most of the best musical concepts I've heard are from instructors on the field. My former teacher, who is the most concientious tuba, technician and aficianado I know, was himself in the Blue Devils contra line and made the worlds of studio and field connect in a powerful way.

So I say get your gifted kids doing the sousaphone (or contra) but also teach them marching well.

(whew!)

Follow Ups: