Speaking of pro BBb's...& other thoughts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on August 12, 2001 at 18:00:10:

Currently on the world's largest internet auction site there is a four-piston (assumed .734" bore) "raincatcher" (bell and elbow detach as an assembly, and the bell points UP) 20's vintage (satin silver, I think) sousa.

NOW...to a nice guy/tuba player/salesman who has been politely bickering with me and others:

- If a sousaphone has four valves, a large UPRIGHT bell, a LARGE bore, and sounds better and plays better in tune than just about any BBb or CC ever made (as Conn sousaphones tend to play quite well in tune and sound GREAT) what (indeed) keeps THIS instrument from being considered (once restored) "the ultimate professional BBb" -

- its shoulder-mountedness = lack of dignity?

Joe "who a few might assume is far more 'pro-CC-biased' and 'concert tuba' than he actually is" S. (and on another topic)-->

OTHER THOUGHTS:

Coming up with an idea is "cheap", particularly when the idea-schmuck (me, Joe Schmoe) has neither the time nor the ability to offer to make it happen. In spite of that, here's the idea:

Does anyone have the know-how, interest, time, webspace, and software to provide an "MP3 Gallery" of "tubenet" players? I'm not only speaking of "pro" players. Rather, I'm speaking of ANYone who might like to put up an MP3 of their playing: kid beginner, adult beginner, high school, college, conservatory, pro - symphony/ service band/jazz/misc., ensemble (tuba highlights only, perhaps). These days, so many seem to have access to DAT, minidisc, and "digitizing" equipment, that this has become feasable.

Is this a dumb idea? Would anyone like to set it up and accept digital recordings from tubeneters? Would Sean Chisham be willing to link it to the bbs on his "links" page? Would those who submit their recordings for uploading on the internet be willing to subject their performances to constructive (amateur) or outright (pro) critism or even COMPLIMENTS :-) ?

Would another related page with (optional) "profiles" of tubeneters (from those who don't particularly value their privacy :-) be another good idea...again, NOT a Chisham website, but someone else's with a link from tubenet.

Does this sound like fun?

-Joe S.

Follow Ups: