Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on August 13, 2001 at 18:02:15:

In Reply to: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by James McNeil on August 13, 2001 at 17:01:55:

Let me tell you that it just doens't matter. Yeah, BBb horns has their sound characteristics than CC horns (Japanese to German sounds). And BBb horns in a section are apt to be more in tune than mixed sections. But man, if you're playing in a concert hall or anywhere bigger than a practice room, you can't tell, even if the tuba section was featured for 3 measures in a band piece. Even if your band director says that he "hears" a difference, it's not enough to throw the whole band off. Even professional tuba players as well as non-tuba players would say that it doens't matter. Now, if you're playing on a 3/4 size C tuba, then I can understand that. But the 186 is a great horn. My teacher, John Van Houten, plays on a Mirafone 186 CC, and sounds contrabass enough for me. You'll be able to hear it on "Planet of the Apes". Anyways, take Jarrod's advice, and go about it politely, but refuse to play the school horns.

-W

Follow Ups: