Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay on August 13, 2001 at 18:55:56:

In Reply to: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by James McNeil on August 13, 2001 at 17:01:55:

I DID use my CC horn in my high school band 4 years ago. I would bring it with me to school everyday and back home everyday. My band director loved that I did that. It was the horn I was developing on, and a horn that made me sound better. Although I would occasionaly use a BBb horn, or sousaphone for marching band, by using my CC on an everyday basis it made me a better player (and gave the band a bigger foundation). With the switching back and forth you won't fully develop on your horn, and won't know how to play it in an ensemble setting. You need to learn how to tune and blend with the band, and your fellow BBb tuba players.

I assume that he is more worried about intonation, tuning and tone characteristics within the section. When I perform tuba duets, I will usually play them with another CC player unless I want that difference in tone character. Intonation, and tuning however will come as you play more with the ensemble. And as far as the tone goes, I have NEVER had a band director tell me that I should switch to BBb or have a BBb player switch to CC to match exact tones. If that was the case, we would all have to play the same exact tuba as well. The only other reason I could think of is that I assume you are the section leader, and maybe he wants the other players to watch your fingerings...Which they shouldn't be doing in the first place, and if they are, he should be helping to fix that problem himself.

I think that it isn't horn envy that he is worried about. If anything seeing a new tuba being played well would most likely have the players in the section wanting to mimic their leader. What if you got a gold plated mouthpiece? Would he not let you use that because it was too pretty?

I would approach this in the way that Rick has suggested, and good luck. I hope you will succeed in your mission to play your own horn.

Let us know how it turns out

Jay

Follow Ups: