Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cliff on August 14, 2001 at 21:21:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by Tony Clements on August 14, 2001 at 01:40:21:

I think your band director is worrying (sp?) over not much. It would have been great it you hadn't told it was in CC (as another poster suggested). But the tone some people take in some these discussions is pretty bad IMO. Something has been said about you, or your parents are tax-payers and that implies that you have the right to do what you want. I'm sorry, but right or wrong, your band director is paid to make decisions, and I can about guarantee you that if you approach the BD without care then he/she will not care to hear you. Here in the South (and other parts, I'm sure) the expression is 'You can catch more flys with honey than vinegar'. I think the post suggesting a blind listening test is a good one. But even if you sound better on the CC, approached with the wrong attitude the director may tell you to play the BBb (BD's are human and will 'cut off their nose to spite their face', on occasion). I've done it some. Hate to admit it, but there it is. I can tell you that BD's are typically under stress and sometimes make snap-impulsive decisions. That's no excuse, but maybe a little time will solve your consternation. Just remember that most band directors, and teachers are doing what they do for wht they percieve as the right reasons, not out of malice. I like to think this is true, so nobody pop my bubble if it isn't (yeah, I live in a dream world)

Cliff Higgins, Band Director and lead concession stand worker, janitor, stand-in parent, fund-raiser, travel agent, taxi-driver, etc.. you dig the picture?.

Follow Ups: