Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Murphy on August 14, 2001 at 22:52:58:

In Reply to: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by tell your BD to... on August 14, 2001 at 21:26:13:

"if the band were any good he would own four valve
yamahas anyways. "

I greatly contest this statement. My High School band (of which I am now an alumnus) had a darn good band, especially considering the surrounding area. We were (they still are) one of the top bands in the county, and our jazz band had won our county's Teen Arts festival 12 years in a row (this past year, the 12th win, was a tie with another school). This band does not own 4-valve yamahas. In fact, until this past year, the school didn't even own a 4-valve horn. They only reason they do now is because the department chair, after seeing the terrible state of disrepair the school's only tuba had fallen in, decided they needed a new one, and I suggested they get a 4-valve instrument (they got an Amati 321, not an example of stellar tuba by any means). Anyway, the point I'm struggling to make (although I probably lost it along the way) is that sometimes, even if the band is good, the funding is not there to spend on tubas. What little funding a school has will usually be spent on repairs, music, and instruments that are used more often, like trumpets, flutes, and clarinets. To say that a school with a good band would have to own a certain quality horn is ridiculous.

The probably as fat as James McNiel, but not really angry Tim Murphy

Follow Ups: