Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 16, 2001 at 15:11:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by Joe Baker on August 16, 2001 at 13:53:23:

Hi Joe again again!

Promissed you to hold back on the barrage. But you are representing a wise Reflective Department of this board. Which is very different from being an RD expert in hot air ballooning.

Visuals are mattering. To about just three sorts of people: Military crew, show performers, and those with a limited brain capacity. Which specifically is not telling anything about the brain capacities of military men or showsters.

For various reasons both of my Eb basses happen to be in silver plate. They would be very fine for performances of a certain opus by the late Duke Ellington, whom I revere so much. Why? Because I refuse to polish my instruments. So these basses like my other silverplaters are displaying themselves in black, brown and beige.

A Mira 186 CC certainly looks somewhat different from a uniform line of YBB three-two-onesters! If that would be a matter in a HS band earning its funding in the show business, then a wise band director well versed in show visuals politely would tell our original poster: You are my favourite section leader of the tubas, but you happen to look like an overgrown baritonist. I will ask you to sit one row and one step down the band circus! Me pleased, you pleased, all pleased! (Sorry for the twisted tarzanic quote).

To illustrate where even I, the confessed anarchist, find visuals important, I will tell of the my favourite military band. Which shall not be identified here, as the situation dates a few year back.

This band enriches the street life of its national capital with daily parades through a certain season of the year. It marches 5 men/women abreast. It has 1 bass tuba in F and 2 contrabasses in CC and BBb respectively. The front row has the 3 trombones in the center spots. The solo tuba marches his Hirshy rotary F on the right front blowing towards the 2nd bone. Nice looks.

Until about 7 years ago the then senior tubist marched his top valved piston BBb on the left front blowing towards the bass bone. Giving a well rounded and pleasant visual impression of the front row.

When this senior tubist retired at the mandatory age of 60, a brilliant young tubist won the spot. Tall and handsome, if I might say so without having questions posed towards my sexuality. Which is normal. At least by the statistics.

But this young guy lacked in seniority while marching his top valved piston BBb. So the left front spot was allocated to the CC player. Who marches a front action Hirshy CC on the left front spot.

A sample of a superior instrument looking like a 4 letter noun hardly welcomed on this board. Because this instrument points out of an otherwise visually well collected front row.

Klaus

Follow Ups: