Re: Vibration, damping, and weight

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on August 17, 2001 at 13:49:21:

In Reply to: Vibration, damping, and weight posted by Rick Denney on August 17, 2001 at 11:26:02:

Your comments about added mass requiring more energy to vibrate gels with my opinions on the heavier is better camps. Many of the comments are that the horn projects better because the horn can take more. Well, I believe the horn may accept more energy because it requires more energy to reach the same point the stock horn does. It isn't really louder, it just gives the feedback to the player that they are working harder so it must be louder.

The heavy weight camp almost always speaks in terms of feel instead of acoustically. I have no doubt that the horns "feel" different, but they aren't necessarilly better because of it. This strangeness in feel may indeed cause a player to react differently and inspire some changes, good or bad. This is not much different that changing mouthpieces, or practice locations, or even horns for that matter. The strange new feedback breaks the habits which are currently in place.

If everyone started to play heavy instruments, then the new craze might be lightweight instruments because of how "efficient" they are. It would be the same situation. The new stimuli would make forming new reactions possibly easier, thus change.

Much of the search for a technological solution to a musical paradox is because of plateuing which, if worked through musically, will arrive at a more fruitful end. There will always be a new All Healing Super Tonic which will be touted to solve all playing ailments, cure the common cold, and reverse mail pattern balding. Some may believe enough that their hair actually grows back, but for most of us we will have to work through the issues in the old fashioned, time tested way. Practice more and wear a hat in the sun.

sean

Follow Ups: