Re: Re: Re: Re: Vibration, damping, and weight

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark F. on August 18, 2001 at 11:46:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Vibration, damping, and weight posted by Laurence on August 18, 2001 at 10:27:20:

I think there needs to be recognized difference between the stresses caused by brass parts that have been clamped together, and trying to reduce symathetic vibrations that might interfere with a good tone. On my euphonium, I took off an extra brace for the leadpipe, As I took it off the horn, it popped off with such force it looked like a rubber band broke. After that, the horn seemed to have a warmer sound and responded quicker. the stresses from that brace were effecting both the leadpipe and the bell in negative ways. I recently had an interesting experience with a getzen trombone. A student showed up for her lesson and her horn played terrible, way to hard to get out any kind of sound. I examined the horn closely, but could not find anything wrong with it. It was still under warranty, so we snt it back to Getzen. Sure enough, under pressure they found a vary small solder joint that had come apart, and it ruined the resonence of the horn. If never seen an clearer example of how fragile the building process is. There are few ways to build a great instrument, and hundreds of ways to mess them up.

Follow Ups: