Anyone actually own the Gronitz Eb?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on August 23, 2001 at 03:40:43:

I did get to test play the Gronitz Eb at Lowbrass Werks. I liked the tritone setup on the 5th valve (A natural), but I really wasn't prepared for what came out of the horn. My embouchure was set for a m.p. that was probably too big for this horn in most applications. The low range was really fat, but the extreme high notes were a wee bit more difficult than they are on my B&H Eb. That fact, combined with the observation that the sound came across to me as a bit loud and "shouty", tells me that I probably had too big of a piece in there (Marcinkiewicz heavy weight H4). Remember, this is a rather squat horn - meaning that the bell is not far above your head, if at all. It's kind of like playing a smaller Piggy. My guess is that a cup or a bowl shaped (med. wide but shallow) Eb/F type m.p. might work much better. Would anyone second that thought? I really want to go back and see if I get this to work as a surrogate, less expensive Willson (mind you, I've never actually played the Willson). Next time, I'm going to try my Miraphone C2 on there, which is like a cross between a Bach 25 and a Conn 7B, but with the comfortable Miraphone rim. I'm also still considering a wide range of other good horns. It's great to have somebody who actually stocks quality tubas in the S.F. Bay Area. Tony, you're not rid of me yet.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: