Re: Hey guys!!!!!!! (Shostakovich 7)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Press on August 24, 2001 at 09:07:06:

In Reply to: Hey guys!!!!!!! (Shostakovich 7) posted by Aubrey Foard on August 22, 2001 at 21:19:40:

My favorite 2 recordings are the Berstein/CSO and the Jarvi/Scottish National Orchestra. Many have already sung the accolades of the Lenny version and I think it is overwhelming...in a good way! The Jarvi recording is definitely one to check out if you like fiery excitement. It is simply amazing how much intensity he can create!

Personally, the Masur recording leaves much to desire for me. I remember when his version of the Babi Yar came out..now that is a fantatstic recording. It sounded very much like the performances did too. But the 7th...I went to those performances too and the word that came to mind was BLAND. I listened to the recording when it came out (several years later) thinking that eprhaps they might have recorded it at a different time. Unfortunately, it is from that same concert series and I found myself falling asleep. Masur is very good with the dramatic, but not so good with the violent...and lets face it, the 7th is one violent work.

Follow Ups: