Re: Re: Willson 2975 euph?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 24, 2001 at 10:28:49:

In Reply to: Re: Willson 2975 euph? posted by Matt G (addendum) on August 23, 2001 at 21:29:10:

We are all on the same page with this one. If I had unlimited money to spend on an instrument I'm unlikely to ever play in public, the 2975 would be my choice, absolutely. I'm glad to hear it's still available, and I hope it stays that way at least until I win the lottery (and I will someday). It seems to me the perfect pro-grade compensating euphonium for a tuba player, for a bunch of reasons. The main reason for me is that I don't have to approach it like a euphonium. When I tried it at Chuck's house, I just picked it up and played it (I think Bydlo was what I tried on it--much to Chuck's embarassment I'm sure). It just played. No special thinking required, or so it seemed to me. My Besson plays that exerpt quite well, too, but I have to change my mindset between that horn and my tubas. If I don't the low register just gets oinky.

I would gladly use that horn for quintet parts where the fifth part was intended for a bass trombone. It would lighten up the sound compared to an F tuba, but still provide a distinct voice.

Rick "whose wife already has her Big Game coupons" Denney

Follow Ups: