new (old) Copland/Bernstein

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on August 24, 2001 at 22:48:26:

Here's one of those budget reissues begging to slip through the net. It's one of a bunch of EMI Seraphim releases for August, and the program is appearing on CD for, I believe, the first time. The CD combines the contents of two late '60s Capitol LPs of Copland's Appalachian Spring and Four Dance Episodes from Rodeo, with Bernstein's Facsimile and Fancy Free. The pseudonomynous Concert Arts Orchestra predominantly if not entirely the New York City Ballet Orchestra under NYCB Music Director Robert Irving. The one player who gets an album credit is pianist Gordon Boelzner, keyboard and staff conductor for eons at NYCB.

Why is this CD so great? It's a comparatively rare opportunity to hear Harvey Philips as an orchestral player, interesting enough in itself, but beyond that, it's a document of a generational approach to orchestral music that has all but disappeared. The personnel of the NYCB orchestra in the late '60s was, because of the amount of work, the epitome of a generation of musicians who did better as free lancers than they would have done as members of the Philharmonic or the Met.

If I named names in this orchestra, I might get some of them wrong, there were comings and goings during this period, but there's a good chance we're hearing Harvey Philips, John Swallow, and Teddy Weiss on 1st trumpet.

The point is, these players and all the principal woodwind and brass players, who are backed by very alert and tight sections, play like it's their last day on earth. This is music making so on the edge, it's hard to believe it's a record date. I'm sure THEY thought they weren't taking any chances. It's hard to imagine them giving more. And this takes nothing away from string and percussion sections, there just is no slack anywhere. And there's not a dull or phlegmatic moment ANYWHERE on this CD.

There have been excellent recordings of these works elsewhere, by the composers themselves, and by major orchestras. But I will state, no one has performed these pieces better than they are here. For $7.99, you can't go wrong, and for that price, you owe it to yourself to experience, vicariously if no other way, an approach to playing that needs to make a comeback.

Follow Ups: