Re: Re: Re: Re: Yamaha YFB822

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ben M. on August 28, 2001 at 14:42:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Yamaha YFB822 posted by Matt G on August 28, 2001 at 12:36:43:

The idea of the Yamaha doing "just fine" seems a little harsh. Sure, all F tubas are incredibly inconsistent, but I seem to have encountered that German F tubas are consistently harder to play throughout the register than any Yamaha F. I also believe that the 822 would certainly have a more present sound (if desired) than a B & S, say in an orchestra. But most of these kinds of "presence" issues are probably more related to the mouthpiece used than the individual horns.

I still stick behind the idea that the musician must choose the best overall instrument to fit his/her performing needs. Michael Lind and Marcus Hoetzel certainly are wonderful musicians who make the German F's sound fantasic! Roger Bobo, Jim Self, and Toby Hanks all make the Yamaha sing as well. But these musicians are still more about the music than the instrument (which is my main point). It does seem to me though, that an aspiring musician--such as the guy that started this thread--would have more success musically (given the solo, orchestral, and chamber music repertoire) on the Yamaha 822 than the German F's.

Follow Ups: