Re: Does weight matter?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 29, 2001 at 07:28:55:

In Reply to: Does weight matter? posted by Will on August 26, 2001 at 22:40:47:

Here is my take:
I have remained at the same weight for about three years. I won't mention the weight because it is irrelevant, or so I believe. I think the main factor at work is the metabolic rate. The higher your metabolism, the slower the world feels as reference. For example, if I take a mental note of how 120 BPM on the metronome feels after a few weeks of laziness compared to 120 BPM when I have been excersizing over a few weeks period, the 120 BPM during my "lazy" time feels faster than my "active" time. Our metabolism speeds every thing we do up both mentally and physically. Because of this, I feel it is easier to play, breath, and in general make music when I am in better health. As long as we retain a certain level of health, our bodies wil adjust fairly well to a certain amount of overweightness. That is not to say however that someone who weighs 500lbs with a good metabolic rate will not have some problems playng, but metabolic rate and weight have a lot to do with each other. Also, decreased blood pressure and resting heart rate have a huge factor on our mental time frame reference also. If our body is working at optimum efficiency at all times than playing becomes much easier. My advice is to try your hardest to stay active and in good health and your own unique optimium weight should follow. Eating correctly is important, but living correctly is even better. A funny example of the weight issue is Phil Myers (Principal Horn NYPO) who Yo-Yo's with his weight. Some guys say he sound better thin some when not, I guess it is all relevant.
Matt G

Follow Ups: