Re: Getting the kid a tuba.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 30, 2001 at 10:05:15:

In Reply to: Getting the kid a tuba. posted by Tom T. on August 30, 2001 at 00:04:50:

Your son is right on the money. A used horn for $3000 (or a bit less) will get him a better horn than a new one for the same money (or a bit more). And it's a big enough budget to get a used horn in really good condition.

I agree with Joe S: A Miraphone 186-4U or a Meinl-Weston Model 25 would be my favorite choices. The VMI 2301 is a good horn, but a bit smaller and lighter sounding. The King 2341 is a classic, but I would wait for the new one that is not quite yet on the market. It will push your son's budget a bit.

Don't worry too much about bonding with the horn or traveling to play-test many horns. At this stage of his development, any competent tuba will do fine, and will be a huge improvement over three-valve tubas at school. Your son is probably not yet developed enough to know what to look for when play-testing, and it may just confuse him. If he goes into music professionally, the Miraphone or Meinl-Weston both would be good enough, and both would be good enough to carry him into a college program. But by then he will probably want to purchase a C tuba, and he will have a much better idea of what he wants and needs, and how to tell if a tuba he plays for five minutes has it. At that time, a well-cared-for Miraphone will sell for what he pays for it now, and he can trade up at no cost. In effect, he will have free use of a pro-quality tuba for several years. On it he will learn much.

The advice about discussing it with the teacher is most valuable, especially if the teacher is a real, working tuba player and not a "low-brass teacher" who really plays, say, trombone.

When you contact the tuba stores (Dillon, Baltimore Brass, Brasswind, Brook Mays, or Brass Werks--they are all good, but I'd start with the first two because they seem to have more selection of used tubas), do so by phone, even if it means waiting for a return call. Most of these guys can help you much more in a direct conversation, and all of them have instruments that don't get on their web pages because they are saving them for someone like you.

And one final recommendation: Avoid St. Petersburg tubas, even though some report that they play well and they can be bought new in your price range. They are perhaps well-designed (except for some minor quirks), but are poorly made and not at all durable. Only an adult with some handiness and great gentleness should accept that risk. The King, Miraphone and Meinl-Weston tubas are as well-made and durable as they are musical.

Rick "hoping this helps provide clarity" Denney

Follow Ups: