Re: Re: Getting the kid a tuba.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 30, 2001 at 17:38:27:

In Reply to: Re: Getting the kid a tuba. posted by Tom T. on August 30, 2001 at 17:14:46:

Unless you live in Britain, I would suggest not getting a 3+1 BBb tuba. There is only one offered (Besson), and in my opinion he will do much better with a standard four-valve tuba with front action. The valves of front-action tubas are operated by the right hand reaching around the right side of the tuba to the front, with the bell pointing to the left. A 3+1 setup would have three top-action valves for the right hand, with the bell pointed to the right, and a fourth valve played by the forefinger of the left hand wrapped around the left side of the instrument. This is an unconventional arrangement for a tuba in the U.S., though it is normal in Britain.

For a sousaphone player, a standard front-action four-valve tuba will be most like what he plays now, and it is the configuration of most professional tubas.

See my other post on CC tubas. Don't be confused by a few of our impressive young hot-shots on this board. I think it's highly unlikely that a player will win a spot in an all-state band on the basis of the pitch of the instrument. What will win him those honors is playing beautifully, with good rhythm, tuning, and especially tone quality, plus a musical sense of phrasing and air control. A BBb Miraphone or Meinl-Weston will do absolutely nothing to stand in his way.

So, to help your clarity, allow me to distill it down to a few principles:

1. Stick with your plan--it's a good one. Your budget will get you a tuba that will meet your needs admirably.

2. Get a good, four-valve BBb tuba with front-action valves, which will give you many excellent choices, rather than a British-style 3+1 Besson, which gives you one choice, and a hard-to-find one at that.

3. Get a used, pro-quality tuba rather than a new, student-quality tuba. It will hold its value better. (Hint: Miraphone 186, Meinl-Weston 25, or, if he really wants piston valves, a King 2341UB.)

4. Work with one of the established tuba stores (Dillon Music, Baltimore Brass, Brook Mays, Brasswind, and Brass Werks).

5. Consult his teacher, especially if the teacher is a bona fide tuba player and not a general "low-brass" instructor.

6. Don't worry about searching endlessly for the right horn. Your son is not developed enough to know what the right horn is for him. Get a good, competent tuba that will allow him to continue that development. You can do this by mail-order--cross-country travel is not required. The stores listed above have dealt with this situation a zillion times, and have proven themselves trustworthy to choose a competent tuba for a young player.

7. Don't be persuaded to get a CC tuba unless your son is determined to be a professional tuba player. This is the start of tuba envy, of which there is no end. If he is so determined, then you'll need to increase your budget.

8. Don't get a St. Petersburg.

Rick "good luck" Denney

Follow Ups: