Re: Re: CC 2 feet shorter???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 04, 2001 at 13:29:02:

In Reply to: Re: CC 2 feet shorter??? posted by Larry Zaidan on September 01, 2001 at 08:44:40:

Yes, it's true, as I say in my other post.

So, let's be specific this time.

1. Two notes played on the same partial of two differently pitched tubas will use the same length of tubing.

2. The shorter tuba will provide some opportunities for playing on a lower partial than the longer tuba. On those notes, the shorter tuba will use less tubing. An example is low C on a CC tuba, which is the second partial of the CC open bugle. That same C on a BBb tuba is played on the third partial, and valve tubing is added so that the third partial resonates the same note on the BBb tuba as the second partial on the CC tuba. In the CC vs. BBb comparison, those notes are B and C in all octaves, E and F at the bottom of the staff and above, C# and D on the staff and above, and then above the staff where no telling what you'll have to do with any given tuba.

3. The longer tuba will reach notes with fewer valves, when playing notes on the same partial. For example, the low Bb (below the staff) is played open on a BBb tuba, and with the first valve on a CC tuba. Both add up to the same length of tubing (to comply with Item 1). Thus, the longer instrument will play all the notes not affected by Item 2 using a smaller percentage of valve tubing.

Assuming that reducing the percentage of valve tubing is a good thing, and that playing a lower partial with a shorter tube is a good thing, then some notes will be better on the CC and others will be better on the BBb. So, at best (from the perspective of promoting a CC), it's a trade-off. But I won't make either one of those assumptions, and I think the characteristics of specific tubas make in most cases a much bigger difference than a small difference in open pitch.

Rick "agreeing with Chuck" Denney

Follow Ups: