Re: Re: Re: Stencil Horns

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 03, 2002 at 06:54:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Stencil Horns posted by Gus Pratt on August 03, 2002 at 06:12:09:

I have heard this myth before. And I do not believe it just for technical reasons.

The differences between B&H Imperial and Besson New Standard model also includes very different valve caps and finger buttons.

I simply refuse to believe, that the Brits made a provisional assembly and then a final one according to a test playing. My impression over 4 decades is, that the Brits have some pretty good designers, but that they cut every possible corner in the production phases. Their stock logistics also are very much less than impressive.

My B&H Imperial baritone has been bought in my own country by me in 1967. Of course this extraordinary instrument is by far superior to all of the Besson New Standard baritones it since has been compared to. But then it also has been by far superior to all of the B&H Imperial baritones it since has been compared to. Its sound and dynamic band-with is unique for Brit baritones.

Even if the Sovereign successors all have a far better intonation, I never have been envious because of not owning one of them. They are lightweight toy horns in comparison to my B&H Imperial baritone.

Klaus

Follow Ups: