Re: Re: Looking for a Professional Model CC Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on August 04, 2002 at 23:06:57:

In Reply to: Re: Looking for a Professional Model CC Tuba posted by Doug on August 03, 2002 at 23:42:10:

I highly recommend the Getzen/ Canadian Brass tubas as well. I’ve owned my Canadian Brass CB-50 for just over a year and couldn’t be more pleased with it.

In fact, I only played one Getzen (for 15 minutes over a year earlier) that left such an impression that I knew I had to find one.

I personally wouldn’t call a 52J or a 56J an equivalent to the Getzen. I tried several 56Js and one 52J and found them to be very different than the Getzen. Yes, they look similar to the Getzen, but they are two totally different animals. In my play testing, I never found a 56J that I really liked. I did like the 52J quite a bit, but I feel that it’s just too small. The Getzen is built like and plays like a much more substantial horn. The Conns that I played had a delicate feel to them and the slide tubing off to one side concerns me…the Getzen is built much more conventionally with more “centered” slide tubing.

Other horns I liked a lot:

PT4 rotor (I didn’t care for the PT4P)
Nirschl WN-15
Culbertson rotor (6/4)
Mirafone 188

Looks promising:

Rudy Meinl 4345 (I’d love to try one)
Rudy Meinl CCC piston (4/4 CC piston…is this model # correct?)

Follow Ups: