Re: Re: Re: Re: F or CC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by eric on August 05, 2002 at 16:07:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: F or CC? posted by LZ on August 05, 2002 at 10:48:07:

I got my F in my junior year in high school and began playing it exclusively in orchestra immediately (much to the hiddden terror of my school's orch director). My immediate reasoning for this was to be "thrown in the deep end" so as to get my "f-ing feet." However, after a short time I really enjoyed using the horn all around, and I don't see that many excerpts are TOO wild for F, as if they aren't wild on CC. So, this would now open the discussion of what type of F is the original poster looking at. I have a MW 45slp, so it's a big F, but nothing like the CC-ish Yammer 822 or VMI Apollo. As a matter of fact, I might recommend the VMI or something similar as a horn for the original poster because they are f tubas (tubae?) and solo work is possible on them, but they are also meaty enough to provide food for orchestras, bands etc... A 45slp might also be a good alternative becasue it is a smaller F (comparatively speaking to the previous mentioned Fs) and solo work is quite possible but yet it is more "American style" (I know that doesn't mean anything), in that it is a piston tuba with a Yammaha-esque leadpipe that makes the low register that is most often lamented on "Germanic" Fs appear nicely.

Basically, I am saying that just becasue a horn is a 4/4 CC, does not automatically make it the only option as an "all round" horn.

Eric

Follow Ups: