Re: Loved My Mirafone, "The Grail"?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 10, 2002 at 21:27:15:

In Reply to: Loved My Mirafone, "The Grail"? posted by Happy Happington on August 10, 2002 at 21:16:20:

I've bought three instruments that were demonstrators. The first was a Cerveny Sanders stencil. It was a good horn, but I don't miss it. The second was a Yamaha 621 F tuba. Every now and again I think of other F's, but each time I pick up that instrument I thank myself for having burned a hole clean through a credit card to get it. I'll never miss it unless it dissolves or is stolen, because I have no intentions of selling it. The third new horn was a Vespro-labelled VMI, and it was like the Cerveny--a good horn but I don't miss it.

My Miraphone 186 was anything but new when I got it. I've had it overhauled. It's about in the middle of the 186 pack--not stellar but completely competent. I still get a little thrill when I play it, though not the same thrill I get from my main big horn. I think the thrill I get from it is related to it being THE lust-after horn of my youth. A 186 was the horn to have when I was in high school, and only the luckiest got one. So, for me, it's a little like the '67 fastback Mustang or E Jag that I've always dreamed about, especially in those youthful days when such vehicles exuded romance and daring. Were I to buy one, I'd love it. But I wouldn't drive it to work.

Rick "who scratches the nostalgia itch from time to time but who knows you can't always go back" Denney

Follow Ups: