Re: tuba to bass trombone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on August 11, 2002 at 17:30:10:

In Reply to: tuba to bass trombone posted by Ricky L. on August 11, 2002 at 17:08:21:

I double professionally as well as teach. I would not advise a student to use a tuba mouthpiece on bass trombone for several reasons.

1. The tuba mouthpiece would not allow the focus usually associated with the bass trombone sound. As you have probably found out, focusing is difficult with that large of a cup and throat on a trombone.

2. Tuning is very difficult because of the variation in embouchure.

3. The match between the shank of the tuba mouthpiece and the receiver of the bass trombone would not allow for the proper fit.

I started using a schilke 59 when I started seriously playing as a doubler in the same concert setting. I soon switched to the 60 so that I could get lower notes with more ease.
I went to a Doug Elliot set-up to get the wide rim, and a slightly narrower cup and throat so that I could get more focus and keep the flexibility in the low range.

My suggestion is to find a bass trombone mouthpiece in the range of schilke sizes mentioned above, and give them a shot. The bach 1G, 1 1/4G, and the Yamaha Douglas Yeo series come to mind, and there are more made that I can't remember the size comparisons.

Good Luck,

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: