Re: Bydlo...auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Allehandro on August 12, 2002 at 23:15:16:

In Reply to: Bydlo...auditions posted by Eric Oliver on August 09, 2002 at 22:09:41:

Who cares which tuba you play it on, all the conductor on the panel is wanting to hear is you depicting an oxen drawn cart lumbering up a hill. That is why the tuba, which ever one, is great for this excerpt. It appeals to the natural tendancies of the instrument - sluggish, lyrical and dynamic contrast. It's like the bear solo from Pretushka, the bear or oxen comes into the picture and then dissapears once it has made its appearance. With the original piano version of pictures the Bydlo movement starts fortissimo so the oxen is immediatly in the picture, like with the bear. But Ravel changed it to a pianissimo for the orchestral version at the start and gradually buliding till the oxen is right there in the picture. Then it slowly moves off and finishes pp.
So try and think of it in these terms alittle more I think, cause all the high range and intonation problems can be worked out with hard work and practice etc...
You just need a context, a musical framework within which to work around.
Just my opinion, I guess for what its worth
it is far more terrifying playing it in the orchestra in front of a large crowd than it is for an audition
good luck and enjoy

Follow Ups: