Re: Bydlo...auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jake W on August 13, 2002 at 21:56:57:

In Reply to: Bydlo...auditions posted by Eric Oliver on August 09, 2002 at 22:09:41:

Isn't this the most ridiculous thing? All conductor's put far too much emphasis on this excerpt. A friend of mine told me that he lost an audition in Europe because of his Bydlo. He was the last man standing but his Bydlo was not 100% perfect.

Anyway: If you look at the rental edition part, you will see that in the middle of the page, when the tuba is playing the bass line during the orchestral tutti melody (G#-B), that the word 'tuba' is printed. After this passes and the melody returns as a solo, the word 'solo' is printed. With all that in mind, and the frequency of errored parts these days you could assume that the initial statement is also to be marked 'solo'

French tuba in C...we all know that tale.

The last time I performed this piece, I practiced like a maniac and when we got ready to start rehearsing, the conductor informed me that the solo woul be played by a euph player because he thought that the contrabass tuba needed to be in the orchestral texture during the loud presentation of the melody.

I don't know what say except it should be fun and challenging to work out this problem. Have a good time and don't worry if you miss the note. Be musical and be an artist.

Regards,

jake w

Follow Ups: