Re: Conn vs. King sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Schultz on August 14, 2002 at 08:59:48:

In Reply to: Conn vs. King sousaphones posted by Eric Howard on August 14, 2002 at 07:23:13:

I assume you are talking about BBb sousas but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. I have both a Conn 28K (built in 1945) and a King (built in 1942). They are Eb horns and both have 4-valves. The King has the same wrap configuration as a BBb horn, making it much tighter around the body of a large guy like me. The Conn has a much larger wrap due to the 'dummy tube' that rests on ones shoulder. The Conn feels much heavier although I have not actually weighed them. The King is much brighter than the Conn. The Conn has a very deep dark sound but does not center as easily as the King. I don't know if any of this carries over to the BBb variety. If does, then I would prefer the Conn over the King.
It's nice to hear the opinion of others, but the truth is going to be in what is comfortable to you. Try 'em all and buy what you like. Borrow different horns if you can... play them in different venues... then form your own opinion. Don't ever buy a horn based on someone elses whims and fancies.

Follow Ups: