Re: Re: Conn vs. King sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on August 15, 2002 at 07:09:09:

In Reply to: Re: Conn vs. King sousaphones posted by Rob P-M on August 14, 2002 at 09:49:42:

Rob,
My Conn jumbo with 3 valves is a 46K. I like it that way just fine, for it weighs significantly less sans 4th, enough so to make it usable for gigs.

I once had one of the earlier King sousaphones you mentioned, from 1939. It had a large main tuning slide like the Conn sousaphones, had larger tapers than the typical 1250/2350, and is my favorite King sousaphone.

I am not a fan of the King 1250/2350 at all. I have found that when I had to spend much time playing one of them, it left a good-sized bruise on my ribs, about where the 1st- and main tuning slides are. The Conns are better-designed to be comfortable for full-sized adults.

I'd like to address the bit, mouthpiece and intonation issues brought up elsewhere in this thread. BBb sousaphones were designed to be played with 2 tuning bits, and the Conn 3XJ and 2XJ tubas were designed to play right with one tuning bit. As for playing a Conn 3XJ/2XJ in tune, any mouthpiece you can play well on should work well enough. A good starting point would be to try a standard Conn Helleberg. If you like large mouthpieces, a Bach 7 or 12 would be a good choice, also. I get really tired of hearing about "flat partials". If a big Conn BBb has no leaks and good valves, no serious dents, then you just need to put some serious air through it. It takes a LOT of air to properly play one of these - to be on top of my playing game with a big Conn, I need to run 3 miles a day, 5 days a week.
Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: