Re: Re: Bach and de cello suites

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jan on August 16, 2002 at 08:42:36:

In Reply to: Re: Bach and de cello suites posted by Klaus on August 15, 2002 at 01:49:15:

The urtext from mr. Bach's hand does not exist. If you buy the Bärenreiter Edition, you will get four hand written copies of Bach's urtext (not exactly true, but think of it that way), including mrs. Bach's copy, known as "source A" (which is the version most cellists use). All copies contain errors, all copies have different sluring (which is an indication of bowing: one slur, one bow, no slur, seperate bows), and all copies are very difficult to read. You get a quite thick booklet explaining the meaning of everything, as well as a few printed copies of the suites with you order (I'm not a salesman, I just love this edition!).

In my experience, 4. suite is most suitable for brass instruments. The other suites tend to have multiple notes that are hard to get right on tubas, and/or some boring movements. Nr. 6 is by far to difficult for me in terms of register (the g naturals are wicked! I'd like to see anyone play them on a bass tuba. It's almost an octave above Bydlo!), but it is fantastic to listen to (I've wondered if I should buy an euphonium just to be able to play that movement). Another reason for the clef change is that this suite is written for a five string instrument, where the last string is a fifth above the fourth string, so that when playing on this string tenor clef can be read as bass clef (I hope that was clear?).

The effect you are talkin about in the first prelude also appears in the opening of the final prelude.

One generally assumes that Bach did not include any dynamics, except possibly for the opening of the 6. suite.

Good luck, and enjoy the music!

Follow Ups: