Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bflat trumpet to BBflat Tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 18, 2002 at 22:04:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bflat trumpet to BBflat Tuba? posted by Rick Denney on August 18, 2002 at 20:49:15:

If you can get the stuff done your way, then congratulations to your 8.080 brain.

Reading in structures not always is blessing:

I am fairly well schooled in the voicing and harmonising principles used by Bach. Who is very melodious in all voices of his 4 and 5 part chorales.

In a brass band I was met with an arrangement of a Bach chorale, that had the bass line starting with 2 ascending fifths (adding up to a ninth). My brain refused to play these, as my fairly thorough reading of all of Bach's chorales never had let my eyes encounter that sequence before.

Two ascending fourths (adding up to a minor seventh) are fairly common with Bach (and Händel). Almost always with the top note resolving directly or indirectly into the third of the next chord.

Reading and interpreting is closely related to the understanding of styles, just read the announcements of the demand of auditionés for your military bands.

But the understanding of styles can be a handicap, when styles are "developed" (read perverted). Aside from the sample above this one:

I ran a school ensemble together with a colleague, who did not know much of harmony, but a lot about rhythm styles. Seeing him collapse, when presented to a 7 bar samba was quite telling. I am not extremely strong in Latin music, so I had let that tune by a colleague of another school pass my first score reading. The tune was thrashed immediately.

Klaus

Follow Ups: