Re: Re: Beginner book for 10 year old on 4V BBb?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason June on August 19, 2002 at 14:52:08:

In Reply to: Re: Beginner book for 10 year old on 4V BBb? posted by Frank on August 19, 2002 at 13:11:23:

I'd really have to agree with Frank on this one(and disagree with Jay). My college prof. and I just had a conversation on this very subject. He suggested that when I get my teaching degree to start students playing out of the Rubank books(in this case, Elementry: book 1). Some books out there just have the students play stupid melodies(and other meaningless passages) over and over again without building their musicality. Those books only teach the student to play the instrument, not how to play music. The Rubank series helps the student with everything related to playing the tuba and music; articulation, melody playing, phrasing, and most important, their musicality(along with scales and other fundamentals). Now, I've never used or looked at the book that Jay B. was talking about so maybe that's a good book too. I don't know(maybe he could tell you more about it). My suggestion is to start with the Rubank series and see how it goes from there. I think your son will have a musical advantage over most of the other students in his school when he starts band. Good luck and happy practicing to both!

Jason J.

P.S. When the time comes to advance past Advanced book 1, I would suggest finding a different follow up than book 2. Just another piece of advice from a college prof.(not me)

Follow Ups: