Re: Repairable York BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on August 20, 2002 at 18:13:16:

In Reply to: Repairable York BBb posted by Kenny Jay on August 20, 2002 at 16:25:40:

Since it only has 3 valves it is unlikely that you would be able to recover a couple of grand put into restoring this horn. The ultimate value depends on the particular model. Front action valves would be worth more than top action, an upright bell would be worth more than a recording bell, and a 6/4 sized horn is worth more than a 4/4 or smaller horn. Therefore your best chance of getting your money out of it would be if it is a front action, 6/4 sized, upright bell horn. A 3 valve York tuba fitting this description sold last year for over $6,000, so anything is possible.

I put a Henry Distin BBb tuba up on ebay earlier this year that had been restored. This tuba was made in 1893 and was a great player. Henry Distin instruments are much less common than York, although they are not as well known among tuba players so may not command as high a price. In any case the bidding ended up at $900, significantly below what I was willing to sell it for. To me this indicates that even with the number of collectors out there, the value of a tuba is still primarily based on how it can be played and not on its age or collectability.

Follow Ups: