My OLD King (Navy) Tuba - overdue update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Philip Jensen on August 27, 2002 at 09:41:36:

Well, I've finally updated my web page with pictures of my old King tuba that my parents rescued from a junkshop in May of 2001. It was made for the Navy and the serial # puts it as made before 1915. I've been playing it since May of this year. I love it! Right now it is at Dillons having it's 4th valve tuning slide shortened and a few other minor things done to it.

I've got two pictures of it next to a new King. The bell and bottom bow look identical. Unfortunately we were in a hurry and I didn't have time to play the new King for comparison - I know...... I've also got pictures of it next to a detachable bell King for comparison. The Old King has a much richer tone, speaks easier, and has better both bottom and high ends compared to the detachable bell model. Intonation unfortunately is not quite as good - we'll see when I get the horn back.

Also, pictures of my latest addition to the collection. A Euphoniun with a serial number only 125 higher than that of the tuba, also made for the Navy!!! Unfortunately it need a new 4th valve.

Follow Ups: