3 great horns from 2 sellers for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ellis Wean on August 28, 2002 at 10:07:19:

Hi All,

I’m selling what was my orchestra tuba for 5 years (until last year). It was a prototype for the Nirschl line, but it’s NOT a Nirschl. The bell and first bow are original York and the rest is Hirsbrunner, so it’s NOT a ‘Yorkbrunner’ either and doesn’t play like one. It has the usual 4 piston, 1 rotary configuration and a new leadpipe (Nirschl), whose position was adjusted to point the horn somewhat forward. The valves work quite reliably. The horn was recently overhauled.

I paid $12,500US and this is the firm price. Sound is very centered. It plays extremely well-in-tune (a major reason I bought it in the first place). Also, there are no ‘bad’ (funky, unclear, centerless, etc.) notes on this horn, even in the extreme upper and lower registers.

I have a 64k photo I’ll email if you email me. I also have sound bytes from broadcasts, recordings, alone in hall, etc., if you’re seriously interested. (I can set up a server for downloading these sound files.) Its appearance/construction is very much York.

I bought the horn from Floyd Cooley. He thinks he used this on SF’s Zarathustra. (That was the best he could do considering the list of horns he goes through.) The orchestra here is a bit too small for the horn. I’m not a ‘collector’, so I’m selling it.

Also, Brock Campbell, tubist of the Victoria Symphony (B.C., Canada) has 2 horns, a Nirschl CC and Yamaha YFB-822S (larger F tuba - silver plate) for sale. Both are good horns. For details, email him at
becampb(AT)attglobal.net

If you’re interested in any of the 3 horns and come up here (Vancouver), we’ll arrange for you to try any or all in a music hall. You don’t have usually have this opportunity when trying horns, so it’s a chance to do it where it counts most. You can play, listen to either or both of us play and/or play with us (duets, trios) to make the most accurate judgment possible.

If you have a YFB-621 you’d like to sell (see my previous note), a part-trade would be welcome.

Thanks,
Ellis Wean

Follow Ups: