Re: Re: How do you motivate yourself to practice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Grant on August 28, 2002 at 22:25:47:

In Reply to: Re: How do you motivate yourself to practice posted by Matt G on August 28, 2002 at 09:51:45:

Ditto! I remember after a concert my brass ensemble had given, one of the trumpet players (a person I thought practiced religously with a very regimented routine) commented "no that this is over, what I am going to do to motivate me to practice?" If you have something to practice and work towards, you will do it. Sometimes my routine gets stail so I have to mix it up. I do many things. I try to write down everything I need to do to keep my chops up. Then I write down my weakest points and decide what I should work on. I also listen to a lot of recordings. Sometimes my greatest inspiration comes from hearing a great recording or a great live concert. Especially a live concert.
As much as I enjoy hearing great players, I would much rather be on the stage playing. So... I get a lot of motivation from hearing other musicians play.

Form a tuba quartet, brass quintet, whatever. Even if it is just to read some charts and have a couple of beers, it can lead to some great stuff. Being a tuba player, you will find that nobody else is going to do it for you. It is like the joke of what makes up a brass quintet. A guy that plays lead trumpet, a guy that wants to play lead trumpet, a guy that used to play trumpet, a guy that never could play trumpet, and the guy that owns the music...you know, the tuba player.

Have fun.

MG

Follow Ups: