Re: H.S. Brass Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Granados on August 29, 2002 at 08:21:26:

In Reply to: H.S. Brass Bands posted by Shane on August 29, 2002 at 06:27:33:

I think it is a wonderful idea. It really would depend on th relationship between you and your principal at the school. If you can convince your principal that it is a valuable class, you can get it into the curriculum. Most bands start beginners in middle school around here, and the 6th grade beginning classes are seperated into woodwinds and brass. I see no reason as to why you couldn't keep the 30 best brass players in a band an set it up as a british brass band.

What you would really need is a set of E-flat alto horns (although I am not convinced that the horns should not play on french horns in an educational setting some of the time. You can't have a career in the US on peckhorn) and school owned tubas. When the local music store comes to the school to recruit rental agreements..have them rent cornets instead of trumpets. At least to start the program until you can develop the funding to purchase a set, which can run well over 50,000.

I believe there is plenty of repetoire to play, especially if you look into the Salvation Army stuff like Tony Z. suggested. You could probably come up with your own exercises, or just use band method books and play with brass only. If you need any more consulting on this, let me know. I will help out where I can. By the way, I direct a Youth brass band.

tony

Follow Ups: