Re: Re: H.S. Brass Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Atlanta Tuba Dad on August 29, 2002 at 14:05:56:

In Reply to: Re: H.S. Brass Bands posted by Pat on August 29, 2002 at 10:28:06:

Pat wrote:

"It is sad, but this type of support seems almost nonexistent today"

That "type of support" may be more rare today, but it does still exist in my experience. In the greater Atlanta area there are a fair number of high schools with large active band booster organizations and therefore huge bands, sometimes even multiple marching bands. Is such a situation common these days? No, I don't think so, but do feel it is a bit inaccurate to suggest that they're "non-existent."

I do agree with you that parental involvement is one of the keys to a successful HS band program and that participation in HS band is a tremendously positive thing for today's teens. IMO teenagers have an innate drive to belong to some kind of group that is respected by their peers (as opposed to their parents, which is why scouting doesn't fill the need). For my son, band filled this need wonderfully.

When I fielded the call from the HS band director, trying to entice my son to join the band to play tuba, I was initially pretty negative, as my son is/was involved in almost too many activities. Four years later, I admit that I was 100% wrong and that being involved in his HS band was one of the very best things that has happened to him.

Follow Ups: