Re: Besson Vs Meinl Weston EUPHS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jailbirdwatcher on August 29, 2002 at 15:43:04:

In Reply to: Besson Vs Meinl Weston EUPHS posted by Bob on August 23, 2002 at 10:20:48:

I have played both of these instruments. The Besson that I tried out was physically a piece of junk. The valves were sluggish even after repeated cleanings. The valve guide part was was made of plastic and one became "loose" after a short time. At that point the playing was over, because the first valve became too slow to allow any articulation at all. In addition the slides were not in very good alignment. When pulled on for the first time the tuning slide crashed, water key first into the main bow - FIRST DENT! Some of the other slides were stuck and did not come out at all. I was extremely disappointed with this horn. The playing was fair. Intonation was acceptable, but I found this horn easy to blast or overblow. This was a brand new, in the plastic Besson Soverign. I was told by the rep at WW & BW that they would send another, but not to expect much improvement.
My next experiment was the MW 451. The valves were a little sluggish at first, but after a few cleanings and some break in, much improvement. The slides all operate and seem to be in the proper alignment. This instrument is more "tuba like" than any euph I've ever played. Very Dark! At first I thought I could get past the intonation problems (when I got accustomed to the size of the mouthpiece and the bore of the horn) Well the 23 valve combination has no cure that I can find. These are the worst things that I found of the 2

Follow Ups: