Re: Re: Baseball-A Music Related Commentary

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on August 31, 2002 at 11:51:39:

In Reply to: Re: Baseball-A Music Related Commentary posted by Mark Wiseman on August 31, 2002 at 10:52:53:

I agree with some of what you write. I don't think that orchestral music, the ballet, or opera are elitest or above the common man. I certainly agree that a lot of groups program esoteric music that is pure crap and inaccessible by most concert goers, and most of the musicians on stage also. Most of the best symphonic music coming out today is cinematic. John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, and Elmer Bernstein are but a few of my favotites. I think that groups like the Canadian Brass, and Rhythm & Brass are the perfect synthesis of art and entertainment. They present popular and classical music in a way that even the most inarticulate boob could appreciate. The problem with artistic endevors such as ballet, opera, or symphonic music is that they require just a little bit of effort to fully enjoy and appreciate. Many conductors give informal pre-concert talks in layman terms about the program about to be played. This is a great idea! Democratization of the fine arts is a double edged sword. We all want more people to attend and enjoy our concerts, but without having to dumb down the program too much. I can only play so much Andrew Lloyd Webber and Robert W. Smith before my brain oozes out of my ears.

Follow Ups: