Re: Re: A serious but strange short survey

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on August 31, 2002 at 23:24:46:

In Reply to: Re: A serious but strange short survey posted by photographer on August 31, 2002 at 23:00:45:

"photographer" has expressed it the best. I concur for all six questions.

I am always amazed when people think that these listed manipulations are the only significant ones photographers do. Sticking to very conventional camera/film/darkroom techniques, a photographer has enormous latitude in portraying things. We can choose lenses, position, exposure, lighting, placement and depth of the plane of good focus, as well as all of the traditional darkroom processes: contrast control, dodging and burning in, local accellerated development, bleaching and toning, etc. I've used them all, and have made photos that sometimes represent what people see, and sometimes what they don't see or couldn't see.

If this relates to music (and/or tubas), it will be interesting to see if it is to classical music, or to jazz/pop. In one case, there are frequent arguments over correctness and authenticity, sort of like some arguments over what can properly be called photographs. In the other case, the main interest is whether the arrangers/performers have done something exciting or interesting with the original material.

Follow Ups: