Re: Re: Chester's Alex

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tigersound on August 04, 2003 at 14:24:32:

In Reply to: Re: Chester's Alex posted by Matt Good on August 04, 2003 at 12:47:47:

I saw/heard him with the Boston Pops on T.V. just a few years ago with his Alexander a few times. I know he mostly used his Getzen for the pops stuff for his last few years with the Pops, but a few times he used his Yorkbrunner and his Alex. I specifically remember one show where he was using a tallish rotary tuba that looked to be in very good condition, and the laquer (sp?) looked darkish, but in nice condition. They were playing Ives' Housatonic at Stockbridge. I remember it had a DEEP sound, even deeper than the Yorkbrunner, although not as wide of a sound. That sound really caught my attention. It was just a very unique DEEP sound not found on any of the newest horns now. I am an Alex fan, although I don't own one. Very nice horns indeed. I have a few Boston Symphony recordings and there are some LP's at school with Schmitz on his Alex on some BSO recordings from the late 60's/early 70's. WOW what a sound he had!

Follow Ups: