Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tastes...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on August 07, 2003 at 08:58:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tastes... posted by Alex C on August 06, 2003 at 09:14:12:

It IS a matter of "to each his own". The point I was trying to make is that I had the opportunity to hear many tuba players, back in the day, who were (and are) wonderful musicians play much of the same music on different equipment - and they all sounded great. The guy I refer to who still plays his old Besson - well, almost nobody else plays those things. They are stuffy, awkward to hold, don't seem to project worth a damn, and aren't really all that in tune to themselves, despite the compensating system and the extra long valves, etc. YET, this guy's musicianship is UNQUESTIONED. When I grow up, I hope to play half as well as HE does; I just can't make playing on the same axe as him.

I think it's wonderful that are so many choices available to young musicians these days. Back in the 1960s, you either dug up an old "golden oldie", or were limited to very few brands of tubas.

I am horrified at what a young musician is expected to pony up for a decent working instrument. Union scales haven't improved THAT much!

Follow Ups: