Re: Re: Re: Miraphone 186 plastic linkage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten (long) on August 07, 2003 at 18:58:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Miraphone 186 plastic linkage posted by Philip Moore on August 07, 2003 at 16:43:08:

I suppose you could use Dubro ball miniballs in any type of linkage. It just makes the most sense for "S" linkages.

There are two types of ball likages that I know about: the uniball (minibal) and the ball and socket. The difference is that in a ball and socket, the ball bearing is fixed to the rotor paddle and the rotor... much like a trailer hitch ball. With these, the plastic "socket," which is attached to the rods, snaps over the ball.

A Uniball or Minibal has the ball bearing built into the "end." Further, this ball bearing has a hole drilled through it. The minibal is attached to the rotor and lever with a small screw.

Regardless of which you have, you should be able to adapt it to metal uniballs.

First, determine the pitch of the threads on the end of the rods and of the threads on the lever and rotor. Then simply buy a set of unibals that match that thread pitch and install them with the right size screw.

Sounds simple, but finding the parts isn't. Minibals for current Mirafones are available and they are quite small... I think 1 or 1.5 mm. Meinl Westons are quite a bit bigger.

If, by chance, the threads on your Mirafone are the same as on current models, there is a possibility that the rod may be too long because unibals are often a little longer than a ball and socket. This may or may not be an issue.

I suggest calling a current Mirafone dealer and asking what they think.

Follow Ups: