Re: Re: Tough Dilemma

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on August 09, 2003 at 17:58:13:

In Reply to: Re: Tough Dilemma posted by Tim on August 09, 2003 at 16:45:28:

I agree with TIm.

Even though this one professional probably knows what they're talking about, I think it's important to consider others' view. Some may have stereotypes that will prejudge by your equipment when you probably sound good on your horn.

For example, one student may have a Mirafone 188 and bring it to a teacher in the east coast and will tell them to get a better horn, where as you bring it to the west coast and they tell the player that they sound great on it. But a good player, no matter what their preference is, would tell you if you sound good on it no matter what it is. Whether they prefer piston over rotary, Eb or F. Roger Bobo played on that horrid Mirafone 180 F tuba and just sings on it. And you swear the lower register's like a Yamaha and it's in tune like a trombone. But that's Roger Bobo of course.

Point being, getting other professionals' perspective is good and they should be able to tell you if you sound good or not despite the horn.

My personal opinion is to get a horn that is able to project well, has a stable lower register (that you can push without it breaking), and at the same time has a good core to its sound that you can blend well with. I didn't think the Conn 56J was quite that horn. If you still prefer how the Conn 56J sounds and plays, then maybe the new Besson CC or Gronitz 4/4 CC may be better. Sam Pilafian switched to the Besson CC and Tommy used the Gronitz 6/4 CC for a while. Doesn't mean that they're right for everyone, just shows how they approved the horn to use for their profession and do not see as limiting their playing. But I see the Besson and Gronitz being closer to the Conn compared with the other horns of similar size.

-W

Follow Ups: