Re: Tough Dilemma

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Start saving now... on August 10, 2003 at 12:49:41:

In Reply to: Tough Dilemma posted by Andy Smith on August 09, 2003 at 15:20:07:

This teacher is probably telling you the truth. This is one aspect of playing tuba that is frustrating compared to say, trumpet players or trombone players--they can have great pro-level horns at a fraction of the cost of a single tuba. But it is a reality. I played the best horn I could for what I could afford for many years (college and beyond). Would I have "made it" with a pro-level horn? Hard to say, but the horn I had certainly wasn't at the pro-level needed. But, it was all I could afford.

Now, I have a "stable" of horns which include some very nice horns...but just a little too late to make any difference in my playing "career"...someday I'll sell them and they will probably benefit someone much more than they did me.

The point of this whole thing is that a person has to be very lucky to "make it" (not only highly talented). Part of that luck should include financial resources that are significant--to finance quality horns, lessons, education, audition travel, camps, "record collections", and sheet music.

All the best to you.

Follow Ups: