Re: Willson Question/Roger Lewis

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on August 12, 2003 at 06:55:27:

In Reply to: Willson Question/Roger Lewis posted by Doc on August 11, 2003 at 19:25:32:

Hi Doc.
These two horns are quite a bit different in appearance. The Willson 3050 is more compact and a little easier to handle. Here are the bore differences: Kurath 1st valve .770"; Willson 1st valve .784"; Kurath 2nd valve .743" vs .748"; 3rd valve Kurath .743" vs .748"; 4th valve Kurath .786" vs Willson .784" (might be the same depending on caliper diffrences); 5th valve Kurath .746" vs Willson +.748". The Main tuning slide out on the Kurath is .863" and on the Willson it is .865". So the biggest difference between the two horns (other than the height) is the first valve bore; which is not substantial. The wrap on the valve body on the Kurath appears more "York" like and it is also substantially taller. The Willson 3050 is about 37" in overall height but the Kurath is 41 1/2".

In playing, I would have to give the edge to the Kurath in carrying power. Both have a relatively bright sound with good depth. I am going to do the valve alignment on the Kurath tomorrow morning and then will play test the horn again. I expect to see a bit of a change once everything is lined up properly. I don't remember anything about the "Rotax" valve in regard to the Kurath so I believe that this was a later improvement on the Willson instruments. Both of these horns are pretty hefty as far as the weight goes with the Willson being a little easier to balance. The height of the bell on the Kurath I imagine would add some fatigue over time to the left arm.

Let me know if you need more information.

Roger

Follow Ups: