Re: Herb Jenkel and Victory at Sea

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carole Nowicke on August 13, 2003 at 16:31:29:

In Reply to: Herb Jenkel and Victory at Sea posted by Stan Howell on August 13, 2003 at 12:43:11:

Midsummer Night's Dream did Herb Jenkel in with Toscanini who replaced him with young Abe Torchinsky, who was playing shows at the time. At least that's the way Mr. Torchinsky tells it. Sam Green told the same story--Jenkel insisted (or perhaps had to) play everything on his big Sander, and, well, that wasn't something he should have tried. Mr. Green and Mr. T. both knew Herb Jenkel--and he sold Fred Marzan a big Sander which may perhaps be included in the next ITEA Journal--I'll stick it up on the website when I get the Historian Playground Jim Shearer promised me. This is not Marzan's famous copper Sander, but a big brass horn--not like Herb Wekselblatt's Sander either. Mr. Wekselblatt may have also known Jenkel, but I believe he's younger than the other three mentioned. Bart Cummings has a photo of Herb Jenkel, maybe it's a 184. Valves don't look quite what I remember from the last time I saw one. Little tuba.

Follow Ups: