Re: High Notes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on August 17, 2003 at 22:07:51:

In Reply to: High Notes posted by Wondering on August 17, 2003 at 21:27:07:

High Ab sounds great on the 2145 once you can nail it. You may want to try the Rudy RM-9. It is kinda like a C-4 but a little more open - it has a rounded rim and a wide but not very deep C cup. They come in 7.8 and 8 mm backbores. I have a RM-9 7.8 and it makes my 2145 sound and play like a big F. It gives a bright, clear, very focused sound on the horn, which will be a good contrast to the sound of your PT-50. I am currently working up Symphonic Fantastique with that rig. A fellow who goes by 'JW' was selling his a while ago, check down the board to find it as I think he still has it. Also, Lee Stofer sells them new.

Several teachers have given me the advice of buzzing on a trumpet mouthpiece a few minutes a day to strengthen the center of your chops that is normally loose in a big tuba mouthpiece. I have started doing that a couple of weeks ago in pursuit of the fabled double high C, and while I am not there yet it does help to tighten up your top end.

As far as material, there is a book called "Exlopring the Trumpet's Upper Register" or something like that by Jay Zorn. Although you can discard his embouchure advice, there are a lot of great high-chop building exercises in it in a sequential format. Just use trumpet fingerings and go at it!

Follow Ups: