Re: Re: Re: Re: A dearth of HB's for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on August 17, 2003 at 22:52:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: A dearth of HB's for sale posted by hmm on August 17, 2003 at 22:13:00:

Dear Anonymous Poster,

Please cite examples of the majority. There are (or were) 48 member orchestras in ICSOM. Membership in this organization is the basic definition of what is defined as a "major" symphonic organization. Please cite 25 examples from this group that use HB as their PRIMARY axe. Then cite names of tuba players in the nine (or so) military units bearing the designation "Premier Band" that use HB as their primary personal axe of choice (NOT GOVERNMENT ISSUED!!) that amount to 51% of that pool.

I am not editorializing on HB. I just hate it when people just make up statistics to bolster a weak argument (ESPECIALLY when hiding behind a mask of anonymity).

The vast majority of the players you chose as your demographic actually play MANY DIFFERENT BRANDS, each to his or her own taste. The Military guys tend to be seen with HB as many premier bands purchased HB years ago and continue to do so for many reasons, tastes of the individual being a bit down the list.

Now, MANY top pros DO INDEED play HB instruments, but I think that it is somewhat less than the 51% (or higher) of which you claim to have some personal knowledge. And, again, many play them because they are issued to them as part of a matching sectional set of instruments. And many ICSOM players that play HB also play Alexander, MW, RM, PT, Yamaha, Miraphone, Willson, et al.

If you are a big fan of HB that is a really great thing. To have found in one company the solution for all your timbrel needs is a good thing. But a lot of musicians have several instruments that accomplish various tasks. There are many more pros that have three or four tubas; not many choose to own three or four Hirsbrunners. And price is not usually a consideration of pros – what can be accomplished with an instrument usually seals the decision to make a purchase.

And I bet that Peter Hirsbrunner would not like you waving the banner of his company using bogus statistics.

Wade "non-anonymous" Rackley

Follow Ups: